Saturday, December 1, 2012

Chip on my shoulder

"Hi sir, welcome to the emergency room at ____, my name is S and I'd like to know what brings you here today?"
"Well, I've got this pain in my tooth here." He winced as he pointed. So did I, in sympathy.
"That looks pretty painful- what happened?"
"I was eatin' potato chips and one of them got stuck. I can still feel it even." He winced again. So did I, but not in sympathy.
"On a scale of 1-10, 10 being the worst pain you've ever felt, what are you feeling now?"
"It is better than it was when it first happened, so it's like a 4 now. But earlier it was a 10."
"I see... Have a seat, a nurse will talk to you soon."
"Ok... can I get anything for the pain, ma'am? They wouldn't give me anything in the ambulance."
"I think the nurse will see you really soon, so I'd wait for her opinion."
"Oh, ok."

She had heard the exchange, gave me a look, and threw him unceremoniously into the pile of charts to go to urgent care and he was discharged 5 minutes later.




But really- calling an ambulance for a potato-chip induced dental pain? Really??
S


No comments:

Post a Comment