Saturday, August 6, 2011

A Social Faux Pas


A month or two ago, a bunch of nurses were talking about Nurse Needy- a huffy-puffy, heavy-set, short, and reeally needy nurse. There is something in the water in our ER- everybody is pregnant- about 15 nurses at a time. Anyway, they were saying how Nurse Needy was expecting, was slowing down a bit at work, looked good being pregnant, etc etc. That stuck in my mind for the past month and I had a silly moment last night.

NN: S, can you go move bed 4 into 7 and 11 into 7 for me?
S: Sure.
NN: Ugh, what is wrong with today? There are so many people and yadda yadda yadda and I get so tired and cranky, as if enough wasn't on my plate already, yadda yadda yadda and it's hard to move around, yadda yadda yadda.
S: Is it that you're expecting?
NN burst into bewildered laughter. WHAT? What are you talking about? I'm not pregnant.
Insert foot in mouth.
S: Oh, I am so sorry- I was just thinking to myself, I see you all the time and you never mentioned it. A bunch of people were talking about it and they were so sure, like it was a done deal. I am so sorry.
NN: It's ok, don't bite your tongue about it (more loud, high-pitched laughter)- it's just that I have no children and can't have any children, ever.
S: I am so sorry. Really.
NN: It's ok. It's just really funny to me. I can't believe anybody would think that.
S: :-( Ok, I'll go move the beds now.

I was going without eating for 8 hours, on my feet for the past 11, and caused a terrible moment for somebody. There was no excuse, though, and I just felt so young, so inexperienced, so socially awkward. But I had patients to see so I bit my lip, refocused, and continued with my crazy night. I'm so sorry, Nurse Needy!!!

And I work with some real a-holes. And I am not referring to patients.

S

No comments:

Post a Comment